Wednesday, 3 August 2011

Oranges

The oranges are here.

The first year we lived in this house I thought we had a dud tree, but I just started eating them too early- it turns out that oranges turn orange long before they are edible. Now I just wait for them to fall off the tree and pick them up off the grass.

This tree is amazing, the oranges are sweet, juicy and have just the right amount of tang at the back of your teeth. It's also nice that it was planted long before we bought the house so it is established (albiet in the middle of the front lawn) and needs no watering in the middle of summer- at least it seems to do just fine without any anyway.

Look at what I picked up this evening!

Oranges

There's nothing quite like picking up your fruit for lunch as you head out the front door.

Oranges

Tonight I'm making our yummy kumara and orange salad for tea. I'm also boiling a little brown rice to add and will sprinkle it with sunflower seeds. Yum!

Oranges

Have you got any favourite orange recipes? Because by the looks of our tree I'll be needing some fresh inspiration before too long.

What's ready to be eaten at your house?