Saturday, 2 April 2011

Interdisciplinary Crafting

I've been wanting to try spinning around a wire core for some time, the idea has been ruminating at the back of my mind.

I cut a long length of copper wire and spun some red silk around it. There is a discussion about this (with helpful notes) and some neat photos here via ravelry.

_MG_3710
After I spun it up I logically had to make it into something.

I often get sidetracked like this (I was supposed to be test spinning some new batts.) This is how I get into a mess with multiple unfinished projects. (I still feel bad about that rag doll with wonky arms and legs hiding in Mum's fabric closet. Sorry Mum!)

_MG_3706

Anyway, wire core yarn makes for cool photos.

_MG_3708

And a nice necklace. My technique needs some work- see the fuzzy vs. smooth bits? I also want to try this using a space dyed silk sliver to get different colours in the necklace.

_MG_3733

Have you tried spinning with wire?