Friday, 12 March 2010

Fibre Friday :: Lots of spinning!

I've been spinning lots lately. I had a big bag of 'wool and mohair' from Rotocard, it was given to me by a friend's mother who was downsizing her stash. I'm not really a huge fan of the colours, though I know someone who might be. I plan to turn this wool into my holiday knitting project, when we go away for Easter.

P3121610
P3121605

I took a break part way through spinning the dark blue to try out a felted single. At the spin-in the lady with the table next to me was selling felted singles, and they are just so beautiful I may never spin another yarn again. I used merino, there's one skein in my felt shop in this colour.

P3121558

I just spun a single, I tried to spin it thicker than usual, but it didn't work very well! So this has ended up quite a fine yarn.

P3121586

And then after I skeined it up, I felted it in warm soapy water by rubbing it between my hands. I reskeined it twice during this process to stop it all felting together in one big mass.

P3121582

It's destined for my sister's needles, if she likes the colour (Olivia- do you want this one, or another colour?)

P3121591

And now I've got all that off the bobbins (it felt SO GOOD to let the end of my last plied wool/mohair run through my fingers and onto the bobbin last night!) I can get onto spinning this lovely fibre.

P3121620

It's alpaca from Paqocha Alpacas, purchased through a lady in my spinning group, as part of a collaboration for a friend at work (hi Frances!). About 2 weeks ago Frances asked if I would be interested in doing some spinning for her, I suggested alpaca, I picked up the fibre Monday, test spun Wednesday and today I started the first bobbin. There's just over 500 grams to spin, and I hope to make a dent in it this weekend.

P3121622

And isn't Nathanial sweet?

I hope you have a relaxing weekend. And now I'm off to have a bath, with the magazine that arrived in my letterbox this afternoon. I can't think of a better way to end this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment